Students from Bacolod City National High School Science Technology and Engineering Program in partnership with Philippine Biodiversity Foundation Inc. presented the results of their studies on urban biodiversity to Bacolod Environment and Natural Resources Office.
1. Density of the Philippines Yellow-Vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus Goiavier) in Bacolod City National High School – presented by Xenon Jay G. Relota
2. Birds Species Composition, Abundance, Diversity, and Eveneness at Bacolod City National High school – presented by Eia Nazzel V. Tillana
3. Bat Species Composition, Diversity and Abundance in Bacolod City National High School-presented by Jerelle S. Espinosa
4. Bird Species Composition, Abundance, Diversity and Evenness at Panaad Park and Stadium and Provincial Capitol Park and Lagoon, Bacolod City, Negros occidental – presented by Anton Van C. Catalan
5. Floral Diversity and their Importance at Bacolod City National High School, Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines -presented by Rose Marie Getida
Philip Raymund R. De Oca Master Teacher 1 and head of the Research Unit of Bacolod City National High School emphasized the importance of City Biodiversity Index (CBI) as crucial indicator of the ecological health and sustainability of Bacolod City.
The data collected will not only aid in assessing and monitoring of our city;s biodiversity but will also guide for future conservation efforts and policy decisions.
Meanwhile, Philippine Biodiversity Conservation Foundation Executive Director Lisa Paguntalan recommended for the city to establish data on biological index as basis for the city’s biodiversity and conservation plan and implementation of other effective conservation measures anchored on the National and Regional Biodiversity framework.
Also present in the research presentation were Richard Gelangre, Principal of Bacolod City National High School, Aline Jo Vieja, Special Science and Technology and Engineering Program Coordinator, Engr. Edmond Maceda city’s Special Adviser for Solid Waste Management and Environmental Program, Engr Joel Vergara OIC ENRO, Mafe Trespuentes OIC of Department of Public Services and DPS SWM-IEC Team.
(Source: Bacolod City Public Information Office)